1cup refined flour (maida)
1/4 cup rice (chawal)flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 tsp salt (namak)
1/4 cup coconut (narial) (scraped)
2 tblsp sugar (cheeni)
2 tbsps butter
1 1/2 cups coconut (narial) (scraped)
1/4 cup sugar (cheeni)
4 green cardamoms
a pinch camphor (edible)
refined oil to fry
4 tblsp icing sugar
How to make thanjavur thengaipuri:
- Sieve refined flour, rice flour and salt together. Soak ¼ cup scraped coconut in 1 cup warm water, grind and extract the milk. Mix with the remaining ingredients for the pancake (reserve the liquid of half egg), whisk thoroughly and make a smooth batter. Rest for about an hour.
- Dilute the batter with water, if required, and make thin 6″ pancakes on a non-stick pan. Cook on both the sides for two minutes each. You should be able to get about 16-20 pancakes.
- Pound the cardamom with little sugar to a fine powder, sieve and mix with the remaining ingredients for the filling and divide it equally as per the number of pancakes.
- Place the filling on one side of the pancake and roll it tightly once, then fold the sides.
- Seal the edges with the reserved beaten egg and keep aside. Repeat process with all the pancakes.
- Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry to golden brown.
- Serve warm dusted with icing sugar.