2 cups Parboiled Rice (ukda Rice)
1/4 cup Red Gram Split (masoor Dal)
1/4 cup Bengal Gram Split (chana Dal)
1/4 cup Pigeon Pea Split (arhar Dal)
1/2 cup Black Gram Split (urad Dal)
4 Green Chillies
1 inch Ginger
1/4 cup Coriander Leaves (chopped)
10-12 Curry Leaves
8 Red Chillies Whole
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/4 cup Coconut (scraped)
Refined Oil to fry
How to make onion adai:
- Wash and soak the rice and the dals for about 4 hours.
- Wash and grind the green chillies, ginger, coriander leaves, curry leaves with red chillies and salt to a coarse paste.
- Peel and chop the onion finely and keep aside.
- Drain and grind the rice and dal to a coarse batter. Rest the batter for about an hour.
- Mix the paste, asafoetida, onion and coconut to this batter and mix well. Check for salt and keep aside.
- Heat a heavy dosa griddle, smear oil and spread one ladle full of this batter to a thick circular shape. Make a few holes in the center. Pour oil on the sides and in the center, cover and cook over low heat.
- Turn over and pour the oil and let it cook till it is crisp all around and golden brown in color.
- You can make about 8-10 adais. Serve hot with the chutney of your choice.