2 medium potatoes
12-15 broad beans (kali seim ki phalli)
1/2 cup green peas (matar) (shelled)
1/4 flower cauliflower (phool gobi)
2 medium carrot (gajar)
100 gms red pumpkin (kadhu)
1 1/2 cups coconut (narial) (scraped)
2 tblsp tamarind (imli) pulp
3 tblsp groundnut (moong fali) oil (tel)
4 red chillies whole
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tblsp coriander seeds
8-10 cloves garlic (lasan)
1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
salt (namak) to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds (raai)
1 tsp black gram split (urad dal)
8-10 curry leaves (kari patta)
How to make mixed vegetables in coconut milk:
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. String the beans and halve them, cut them into one inch pieces. Shell the peas. Wash cauliflower and separate the cauliflower florets. Peel and dice the carrots into 1 inch cubes. Peel and dice the pumpkin into 1 inch cubes.
- Add warm water to one cup of scraped coconut and extract thick and thin milk. Keep aside. Dissolve tamarind pulp in half cup of water.
- Heat a little oil and sauté 2 whole red chillies, cumin, coriander, garlic and the remaining half cup of scraped coconut till a nice aroma is given out. Grind into a fine paste.
- Boil the vegetables in the thin coconut milk with turmeric powder, tamarind extract and salt till three-fourth done. Add the ground masala and cook for 10 minutes.
- Heat a little oil separately and add the remaining red chillies broken into two, mustard seeds and urad dal. Add curry leaves and add this to the vegetables.
- Continue cooking the vegetables till done. Then add the thick coconut milk and simmer for two to three minutes. Serve hot with boiled rice.