RAJMA (RED KIDNEY BEANS) RECIPE
Rajma is one of the most loved Punjabi vegetarian curry and it goes best with boiled rice. It is a very popular weekend brunch idea. In this dish, red kidney beans are cooked with onions and tomatoes. Learn how to make rajma curry.
1 cup or 200 gms Rajma
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oil
1 tsp butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tblsp ginger-garlic paste
1 cup chopped tomatoes
Salt to taste
How To Make Punjabi Rajma:
- Wash and soak rajma overnight or for at least for 8 hours. (Kidney beans will get double in size after soaking).
- Pressure cook the soaked rajma in about 3 cups of water in pressure cooker until rajma is soft and tender. Reserve the stock it can be used later to the gravy.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaf for a minute. Then add chopped onions. Saute it till the onions turns to golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till golden and cooked. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and saute it till tomatoes become soft.
- Add boiled rajma to it with salt, butter and the rajma stock. In case you feel the gravy is less, you can add some water. Cover it and let it simmer it for 20-30 minutes. When the rajma gets nicely blended with the curry sprinkle some chopped coriander and move to a serving dish.
- Garnish it with few coriander leaves and serve with hot rice.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...