Here is a recipe for Dal Maharani. Dal Maharani is very similar to dal makhani but the difference lies in the addition of chana dal along sabot urad and rajma. Also in Dal Makhani the dal is suppose to be smooth but in Dal Maharani the dal is slightly coarse and not completely mashed. Also as the name suggests “MAHA” so everything is grand like use of ginger is twice and also there are two types of tadka given to the dal in addition to use of butter. So lets learn how to make Dal Maharani easy way.
Serves: 3 – 4 person
Cooking Time : 60 mins
2 tblsp Rajma
1 cup Whole Urad dal
2 tblsp Chana dal
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Bay Leaf
Pinch of hing
1 whole dry red chilly
1 Moti Elaichi broken
Pinch of Nutmeg powder
5 Black peppercorn
1 tsp Chopped Green Chilly
2″ inch grated Ginger
1/2 cup finely chopped Tomato
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Jeera Powder
2 tblsp Dahi (Curd)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tblsp Butter
1 small earthen pot / pan (optional)
1 tblsp Ghee
1/2 tps Hing
1 tblsp chopped Green Corainder
1 tblsp Cream
How To make Dal Maharani Restaurant Style:
- Soak rajma, urad daal and chana dal overnight.
- Pressure cook the urad dal, chana dal, rajma, julienne ginger, turmeric powder and 4 – 5 cups of water. Water should be enough to cook the dal without getting burnt. Cook for around 6 – 7 whistles. Let the steam release naturally.
- Mash it slightly but keep it coarse. And transfer to a separate bowl and keep aside.
- Heat butter in a pan/ kadai, add cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds begin to splutter, lower the flame and add hing, dried red chilly, bay leaf, broken moti eliachi, cinnamon stick, black peppercorns, cloves and fry for few seconds. Then add grated ginger and chopped green chilly.
- Fry for few minutes. Add chopped tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook until done. Remember to keep the flame low. Otherwise the masala will get burnt.
- Then add jeera powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder.
- Stir and add dahi (curd). Let the masala cook till it starts to leave oil.
- Then add 2 tblsp of water
- Let the masala cook till dahi gets assimilated well.
- Now add 1 – 11/2 cups of water. when it begins to boil add the coarsely mashed dal Also add the garam masala, salt to taste and 1 tblsp butter.
- Lower the flame and let the dal simmer covered for 10 – 15 mins. If the dal is too thick then you can add some more water.
- Add cream, mix well and switch off the flame.
- In a separate pan or earthen pan heat the ghee and add the hing. Immediately pour it over the cooked dal and cover for 5 mins. If using the earthen pot leave the pot itself in the dal and keep it covered for 5 mins. This will add a rustic flavour to the dal. Later on remove the earthen pan.
- To serve dal maharani dish out the dal in a serving bowl and garnish with cream and chopped corainder leaves.
- Dal maharani is ready and can be served with choice of roti, parantha or naan.
This Dal Maharani recipe is definitely a must try dal for your next dinner, lunch or a weekend brunch.