LEMON PICKLE IN OIL RECIPE
1 kg Lemons (Nimbu)
240 grams Salt (Namak)
1/2 litre Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
2 big pieces of asafoetida
4 teaspoons Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
1/2 kg Ginger (Adrak)
30 grams Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
120 grams whole fresh red chillies (Lal Mirchi)
60 grams methi seeds
juice of two galgals or 1 cup Lemon (Nimbu) juice
1 tablespoon Salt (Namak) for lime juice
How to make lemon pickle in oil:
- Wash and dry the lemons with a cloth.
- In each lemon make four cuts and pack the salt inside and rub a little salt outside also till tender.
- Heat the oil till smoky.
- Remove from the fire, add asafoetida and when it swells up, crush it with a spoon.
- Add chilli powder and stir till red colour appears.
- Remove from the fire, add mustard seeds and stir for a little while.
- Now stir in lemons, fresh red chillies and ginger and cook until a little tender.
- Roast methi seeds and powder.
- Mix methi seed powder and the juice of galgal or lime mixed with one tablespoon salt Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the fire, pour the lemons with the juice into a clean jar, and cork tightly.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...