COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE
1/4 cup whole unsalted cashews
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt To Taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp curry powder
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
How to make chicken with coconut milk:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the cashews in a pie plate and bake for 5 minutes, or
until fragrant and lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Lightly season the chicken with salt. In a large, deep skillet,
heat 3 tablespoons of the oil until smoking.
- Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat until golden
brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate
and reduce the heat to moderate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat
until smoking. Add the mustard seeds and cook for about 1 minute, or
until they stop popping. Add the cumin seeds, coriander and curry
powder, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic, and cook until the onion
softens, about 10 minutes; if the mixture seems dry, add up to 1/4
cup of water to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to
low. Return the chicken to the skillet and simmer until cooked
through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook for 1 minute.
Transfer the coconut chicken curry to a bowl, sprinkle with the
cilantro and cashews and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...