Jhingey Tamatar Recipe
Jhingey tamatar means prawn in tomato gravy. Learn how to make jhingey tamatar.
1/2 kg Prawns
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Ginger paste
1 tsp Garlic paste
1 tblsp Lemon juice
1/2 cup Oil
6 nos. Dry red chillies
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
6 nos. Garlic cloves
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
2 nos. Sliced onions
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
6 nos. Green chilli paste
2 cups Tomato puree
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
As per requirement Water
As per taste Salt
How to make jhingey tamatar:
- Rub turmeric, ginger, garlic and salt mixed with juice of 1 lemon
on the prawns, leave aside for 1 hour.
- Fry in hot oil the red chillies, fenugreek seeds, garlic and
mustard seeds till they darken.
- Lower the flame to prevent burning.
- Add onions and fry till they are golden brown in colour.
- Add cumin powder and stir, then add marinated prawns and
stir-fry. Add green chillies and mix well.
- Add tomato puree and cook on a low flame till the puree is cooked
and oil leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add sugar dissolved in a tblsp of water, salt and mix.
- Before serving take a spoonful of oil from the gravy and heat it
in separate frying pan.
- Add cumin seeds and fry till they are just brown.
- Pour this into the gravy before serving.
- Serve with boiled rice or chapattis.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...