1 tblsp garam masala powder
2 tblsp red chilli (lal mirch) powder
1/2 tsp. soda bi-carbonate
1 tblsp dry mango powder (amchur)
2 tblsp coriander- cumin powder
1 cup chick peas (kabuli chana)
3 tblsp vegetable fat (ghee)
1/2 tsp pepper powder
salt (namak) to taste
2 tblsp coriander leaves (dhania patta) chopped
1 green chilli
How to make chole:
- Soak the chana for at least six hours and then drain.
- Cut the onions.
- Chop the potatoes into quarters.
- Wash and quarter two tomatoes and make slices of the remaining.
- Peel and make juliennes of the ginger.
- Wash and slit the green chillies.
- Mix in water and 1/2 tsp of soda bi-carbonate to the chana and stir fry in a pressure cooker till done.
- Take care the chanas do not get mashed.
- Heat up the ghee in a vessel and fry the potatoes until soft. drain.
- In the same ghee, mix in the onions and stir fry till pink.
- Mix in the dhania-jeera powder and red chilli powder and fry again.
- Mix in the boiled chanas and salt.
- After five minutes, mix in the garam masala powder, amchur powder and black pepper powder and stir fry for two minutes.
- Mix in the potatoes and tomatoes and stir fry for another two minutes.
- decorate with cut coriander leaves, slit green chillies, slices of tomatoes and ginger juliennes.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...