1 cup Split Red Lentil (Masoor Dal)
5 slit Green Chilli (Hari mirch)
1 tblsp chopped Coriander Leaves (Dhania Patta)
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
1/2 cup grated Coconut
Salt to taste
1 tsp Mustard Seeds (Raai / Raee)
1 tsp Cumin Seed (Jeera)
2 chopped Tomato (Tamatar)
1 tblsp Oil
1 meduim sized sliced Onion (Pyaj)
How to make masala dal:
- Wash and soak the gram for 30 minutes.
- Grind the grated coconut with a little water to a smooth paste in a blender.keep aside.
- Fry the sliced onions till golden brown. remove and keep aside.
- Cook the gram in a pressure cooker with just sufficient water to cook the dal until soft.
- Remove the lid of the cooker and add the green chillies , turmeric powder tomatoes and salt. cook for 3 minutes.
- When the tomatoes are cooked add the coconut paste. mix thoroughly.
- Cook for a minute and remove from the flame.
- Heat the oil in a pan. add the mustard seeds, when they crackle add the cumin seeds.
- Fry for a few seconds over a low flame. pour over the dal.
- Serve hot garnished with the fried onions and the chopped corriander leaves.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...