Learn how to make dal fry is one of the most popular recipe in the punjabi restaurantmenu. It has four different lentils which makes it very nutritive and to enrich its taste it is tempered with various spices. Dal fry tastes best when it is served with jeera rice.
- 1/4 cup yellow pigeon peas (toor dal)
- 1/4 cup split yellow peas (yellow moong dal)
- 1/8 cup bengal gram dal (channa dal)
- 1/8 cup red split lintels (masoor dal)
- 4 tbsp clarified butter
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp garlic (grated)
- 1/2 tsp ginger (grated)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
How to make punjabi dal fry:
- Mix all the dals together and wash them properly. Soak them in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes before cooking it.
- Pressure cook the dal in 2 cups of water with salt and 1 tsp of turmeric powder till done.
- In a frying pan, heat the ghee and temper it with the cumin seed When the cumin seed starts to crackle add asafetida.
- Stir it and add chopped onions. Fry on medium heat until onions turns pinkish in color. Add garlic, ginger and green chili and cook till they get brown burnt in color.
- To this add the chopped tomatoes and cook for further few minutes till the tomatoes are little soft.
- Now add coriander powder, garam masala, little turmeric powder and cook for another 4-5 minutes adding little water to it to ensure that the mixture does not get burnt.
- Next add cooked dal and mix them well. Add a little more water to it to bring it to the desired consistency. Bring to a boil and simmer at least for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Take out the dal in a serving bowl, add lemon to it and garnish it with the coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapattis and jeera rice.