36-40 medium prawns
1 onion (pyaj)
1 tomato (tamatar)
4 green chillies (slit)
30 cloves (lavang) garlic (lasan)
6 tblsp gingelly oil (tel)
e saltto taste to tast
for masala paste
4 red chillies whole
1 tblsp coriander seeds
1 tblsp cumin seeds
1 tsp pepper corns
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (raai)
1 tsp black gram split (urad dal)
10-12 curry leaves (kari patta)
How to make yera pondu masala:
- Shell, de-vein and wash the prawns thoroughly. Squeeze the lemon, add little salt and mix with the prawns.
- Peel and chop the onion and tomatoes finely. Peel the garlic and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the masala ingredients along with 10 cloves of garlic. Grind to a smooth paste with little water.
- Heat oil in a wide kadai and temper with mustard seeds, dal and curry leaves.
- Add the remaining garlic, slit green chillies and masala paste. Stir-fry on high heat till the fat separates.
- Add the tomatoes and continue cooking till the masala starts drying up.
- Add the prawns, toss well and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Let it sweat on low heat, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and cook the prawns over high heat to thicken the masala. Add salt to taste and serve hot.