36-40 medium prawns
2 onions ( pyaj)
2 tomatoes (tamatar)
1 tsp peppercorns
1/2 cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
1 inch ginger (adrak)
10 cloves (lavang) garlic (lasan)
10-12 curry leaves (kari patta)
12 tblsp groundnut (moong fali) oil (tel)
salt (namak) to taste
1 cup coconut (narial) (scraped)
4 red chillies whole
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
How to make iggaru royya:
- Shell, de-vein, wash and pat dry the prawns.
- Peel and chop onions and tomatoes. Peel and grind the ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Wash curry leaves and the coriander leaves.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the masala ingredients and grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat the remaining oil, add onion and fry till golden brown. Now add the ginger garlic paste and fry till all the water evaporates. Add the masala paste and stir.
- Add tomatoes, salt, curry leaves and sauté on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the prawns, toss well and cook till the prawns are done.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and serve hot.