Upma without vegetables is one of the easiest & popular South Indian Breakfast recipe. Light and easy to digest. Upma without vegetables has immense flavor of peanuts and curry leaves. Read along to know more about upma water ratio. Addition of peanuts adds an extra crunch to the upma. This upma tastes great with peanut garlic chutney.
Ingredients of Upma in English :
- 1 cup regular Rava (Suji)
- 1 cup finely chopped Onion
- 2 – 3 Green Chillies Slit
- 8- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 1/4 cup Ghee / Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tblsp chopped Coriander Leaves
How to make upma without vegetables :
- Take a kadai, heat it on medium heat and dry roast the suji. Keep stirring it constantly. Dry roast the suji till you start getting a sweet aroma. Make sure the sooji does not get brown at all and retains its white color. Keep it aside.
- In the same kadai, heat 1 tsp of oil and roast the peanuts till light brown and crisp. Keep aside.
- In the same kadai / pan, add ghee, add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add curry leaves and chopped onionsand chillies.
- Sauté everything well on a medium to low flame. Please take care to NOT brown the onions. The onions should be translucent. This might take a few extra minutes but that’s how the upma will stay in a whitish color.
- Meanwhile in a pan boil water. Keep aside.
- Now add the sooji ad salt and stir constantly to cook for a minute.
- Add the roasted peanuts and boiled water.
- Stir constantly and let the suji cook in the steam.
- Once the suji gets cooked, cover it for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. This will allow the sooji to get soft and velvety.
- Later add the chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with pickle, green chutney or peanut garlic chutney.
Upma Water Ratio :
The biggest question when preparing upma is what should be the sooji water ratio. The best sooji water ratio is 1:3. This allows the suji to soak in lots of water and give it a soft velevty texture. But depending upon your sooji you can increase or decrease the water quantity.
- You can also add 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger to enhance the flavor.
- Add ghee roasted cashewnuts along with peanuts.