Sambhar is an integral part of the South Indian homes. No meal is complete without sambhar. Here is a simple recipe for South Indian sambhar.
- 2 Cup Tuvar Dal
- 1/2 tsp Haldi (Turmeric)
- 3 Red Chilles
- 1 tsp Sambhar powder
- 1 pinch Hing
- 2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Tamarind paste
- 2 tblsp Vgetables washed & chopped ( Drumstick,Green Pepper,Eggplant, Okra)
- Green Chilles to taste
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil
How to make sambhar:
- Cook tuvar daal with haldi and water and keep aside.
- Cook the vegetables in water enough to soften them and add haldiand salt.
- When vegetables are cooked add tamarind paste.
- Heat some oil in a pan, splutter mustard, add red chillies, greenchillies, curry leaves, hing, and sambhar powder and keep stiringfor few minutes.
- Add this to the boiling vegetables.
- Add the tuvar daal and let it cook for a few more minutes.
- Sambhar is ready to be served with dosa, idli or vada.