1 cup Rice
2/3 cup Coconut (scraped)
2/3 cup Pressed Rice (poha)
1 1/3 cup Jaggery (grated)
1/3 cup Coconut Milk
a pinch Salt
1 drop Yellow Colour
Ghee to fry
How to make eliappe:
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 3-4 hours. Drain.
- Grind together rice, scraped coconut and pressed rice to a not too fine paste.
- Add coconut milk, grated jaggery, yellow colouring, pinch of salt and mix well.
- Leave the batter overnight to ferment.
- Heat the appam griddle till smoking hot. Lower the heat and drop a teaspoonful of ghee in each dent. Drop a tablespoonful of batter in each dent.
- Cook till golden brown.