2 cups rice (chawal)
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup fresh cream (malai)
1 cucumber (kheera)
1 carrot (gajar)
1 raw mango (aam)
1/4 cup green grapes (angoor) (seedless)
1 tsp mustard seeds (raai)
1 red chillies whole
4 green chillies
1″ ginger (adrak)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 sprig curry leaves (kari patta)
2 tblsp gingelly oil (tel)
salt (namak) to taste
How to make bagala baath:
- Clean, wash and boil rice and slightly overcook it. Drain well and cool. When it reaches room temperature, mix in the milk, asafoetida and salt to taste.
- Wash and chop green chillies and ginger finely. Peel and deseed cucumber. Grate, mix in a little salt and keep aside.
- Peel and grate the carrot and mango and keep separately. Slice the grapes into two and keep.
- Heat oil in a small pan and temper with mustard seeds, asafoetida, red chilli and curry leaves. Add the ginger and green chillies, stir well and add to the prepared rice.
- Add the yogurt, cream and the grapes. Mix well and chill in the refrigerator.
- Squeeze out excess water from the cucumber. Garnish the rice with the grated cucumber, carrot and mango and serve.