Karah parshad is made with whole wheat flour, ghee and sugar. It is offered to all visitors at gurdwaras and has religious significance. It is very tasty but it is high in calories. Loved by one and all.
Serves : 6 – 8
Cooking time : 20-25 mins
1 cup whole wheat flour (gehu ka atta)
1 cup clarified butter (ghee)
1 cup sugar
2 cardamoms (crushed)
3 cups water
How to make karah prasad:
- Take a pan, mix water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- In another pan, heat ghee. Once melted, add whole wheat flour and roast it till it turns reddish brown in color and a sweet aroma is released. Stir continuously otherwise the atta may burn. This may take 5 – mins.
- Add crushed cardamoms and mix it well.
- Now add the sugar syrup to the mixture. Keep stirring continously while adding the syrup so that no lumps are formed.
- Do not stop stirring the prasad till it thickens into a firm pudding and the mixture leaves the side of the pan.
- Serve this Punjabi karah prashad hot with puris. You may garnish it with chopped almonds and cashwenuts.