30 ml pure ghee
3 cup jaggery grated
1/2 cup sesame seeds (til)
1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
1/2 cup poppy seeds (khuskhus)
For Outer Covering
2 cup Whole Wheat Flour (Atta)
1 cup Refined Flour (maida)
Salt to taste
Water as required
30 ml Oil
How to make gur poli :
- Sieve the flours.
- Mix in salt, oil and water and knead into a soft dough.
- Cover it with a damp cloth.
- Keep aside.
- Grate the jaggery.
- Roast the poppy seeds and white sesame seeds separately.
- Grind the poppy seeds and white sesame seeds to a coarse powder.
- Melt the jaggery, mix in the ghee, poppy seeds, white sesame seeds, cardamom powder.
- Stir fry on low heat up till it becomes firm.
- Take off from heat up and keep aside to cool.
- Divide kneaded dough into small equal-sized balls.
- Stuff each ball with the jaggery mixture.
- Roll out each ball into thin roundels.
- Dust with flour if necessary.
- Heat up a tawa to a moderate temperature and stir fry the prepared gur-poli on moderate heat, till it is a light golden colour on both sides.
- Serve hot or cold, with a pinch of hot melted ghee.