- 3 tblsp grated Coconut (Nariyal)
- 1 tblsp Sesame seeds (Til)
- 2 tblsp Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1/4th tsp Saffron (Kesar) threads
- 1/4th cup green Pepper corns (Kalimirchi)
- 1/4th cup White Pepper corns
- 2/3rd cup Green bruised Cardamom (Elaichi) pods
- 3/4th cup Cumin Seed (Jeera)
- 1/4th cup ground Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
How to make garam masala:
- Roast all ingredients in a dry pan (preferably non-stick) and heat over a very low fire, shaking the pan time to time.
- When the spices give off the fragrance allow to cool slightly.
- Then grind finely in an electric grinder.
- If electric grinder is not available, grind by hand and press through a fine sieve afterwards.
- Store it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Make sure you always close the lid tightly after use.