- 1/2cup Cumin Seed (Jeera)
- 2 tblsp Coriander seeds (Dhania)
- 4 sticks Cinnamon (Tuj/Dalchini)
- 10-12 bruised green Cardamom pods (Elaichi)
- 4-5 bruised black Cardamom pods (Elaichi)
- 10 Cloves (Lavang)
- 1/2 broken Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
- 3-4 blades of Mace (Javitri)
- 1 tblsp black Pepper corns (Kalimirchi)
- 4 whole Star anise (Dagad Phool)
- 5 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
How to make garam masala-punjabi style:
- Roast all ingredients in a dry pan (preferably non-stick) and heat over a very low fire, shaking the pan time to time.
- When the spices give off the fragrance allow to cool slightly.
- Then grind finely in an electric grinder.
- If electric grinder is not available, grind by hand and press through a fine sieve afterwards.
- Store it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Make sure you always close the lid tightly after use.