Here is a nice and easy recipe for urad dal vada, also known as Medu Vada and Vadai in south India, is a crisp from outside and soft from inside. Vegetables and condiments can be added to impove taste as your taste prefers. Learn how to make vada at home.
- 1/2 cup Urad Daal
- 1/2 cup Moong Daal
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
How to make Medu Vada / Vadai :
- Pick, wash and soak daals for 3-4 hours (best if you can give it about 8 hours of soak overnight)
- Grind them coarsely in a blender.
- Now add onions, ginger, green chilies salt and baking powder and mix well and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and deep fry a spoonful of batter till golden. Remember NOT to put vada to smoky hot oil else it would not cook properly from inside. Put it on medium flame for even cooking from inside and crust.
- Serve with chutney as a breakfast or sambhar or rasam as a meal.
- If you prefer to enjoy dipped vada, soak it in boiling hot sambar or rasam for about 8-10 mins before serving.
What To Serve With Medu Vada/Vadai :
- Coconut Chutney
- Tomato Chutney
Storage Tips :
Store in an airtight container and put it in fridge
Reheating Tips :
- You can reheat it for 5-7 mins in Air Fryer with 160 degree to gain the crisp back again.
- You can bake it for about 6-8 mins in oven at 200 degree for it to get heated from side and crispy.