Sabudana khichdi is a very nutritious and yummy breakfast recipe. Indian sago khichdi is healthy and easy to make.
- 1 cup sabudana(sago)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 Green Chillies chopped lengthwise
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1 boiled and peeled potato
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Pinch Hing (asafoetida)
- 2 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Few Coriander leaves
- Few Curry Leaves
How to make sabudana khichidi :
- Wash the sabudana in water 2 -3 times.
- Then soak them in water just enough to cover the top of the sabudana.
- Use a flat bottom vessel for soaking.
- Soak the sabudana in water for 6 – 8 hrs before you plan to make the khichdi.
- Every 2 – 3 hrs fluff them with the help of a fork. Later if you feel that the sabudana still has a hard center then sprinkle some water on them and wait for 30 mins for them to get soft.
- Fluff again with a fork and check. Repeat the process till you get perfectly soft centered pearly sabudana.
- Each and every pearl will be soft and well shaped. Also the sabudanas will double in volume.
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and hing. When the cumin seeds crackle add the green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped potatoes and stir well. Let them cook till they are light brown on the outside. Add sabudana mixture and mix gently.
- Let it cook for 10 – 15 mins stirring occasionally and scraping the sabudana layer from the bottom of the vessel. When the pearls get translucent and shiny sabudana is ready.
- Then add crushed peanuts, sugar and salt. Stir and make sure every thing gets mixed well.
- Add the grated coconut and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice over it and serve hot.