Sabudana khichdi is a common breakfast food item of India. It is very nutritious, yummy and easy to make breakfast dish. Sabudana Khichadi is quite popular as an Indian fasting food and preferred during the fasting days of Navratri, Shivratri and other fasting days. Indian sago khichdi is non spicy and when consumed with a bowl of curd is very good for stomach.
Sabudana Khichdi | Sago Khichadi – Indian Fasting Food
Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) Khichdi is a common fasting food of India. It is available and enjoyed as breakfast street food in quite a few states of India. Sabudana Khichadi is also eaten during fasting of navratri and shivratri and other occasions. It is a near pure carb and peanuts are added to balance it with protein.
- Sabudana (Sago)
- Curry Leaves
- 1 cup sabudana(sago)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 Green Chillies chopped lengthwise
- 1/2 cup roasted Peanuts
- 1 boiled and peeled Potato
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Pinch Hing (asafoetida)
- 2 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Few Coriander leaves
- Few Curry Leaves
How to make sabudana khichidi :
- Wash the sabudana in water 2 -3 times.
- Then soak them in water just enough to cover the top of the sabudana.
- Use a flat bottom vessel for soaking.
- Soak the sabudana in water for 6 – 8 hrs before you plan to make the khichdi. If you can soak sabudana overnight, it would be great.
- Every 2 – 3 hrs fluff them with the help of a fork. Later if you feel that the sabudana still has a hard center then sprinkle some water on them and wait for 30 mins for them to get soft.
- Fluff again with a fork and check. Repeat the process till you get perfectly soft centered pearly sabudana.
- Each and every pearl will be soft and well shaped. Also the sabudana will double in volume.
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and hing. When the cumin seeds crackle add the green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped potatoes and stir well. Let them cook till they are light brown on the outside. Add sabudana mixture and mix gently.
- Let it cook for 10 – 15 mins stirring occasionally and scraping the sabudana layer from the bottom of the vessel. When the pearls get translucent and shiny sabudana is ready.
- Then add crushed peanuts, sugar and salt. Stir and make sure every thing gets mixed well.
- Add the grated coconut and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice over it and serve hot.
What To Serve With Sabudana Khichdi :
- You can enjoy it with freshly made coriander, mint chutney (dhaniya-pudina chutney)
Storage Tips :
You can store it in tight container in fridge so that its available handy for about 2 days
Reheating Tips :
- Microwave: If its out of fridge and cold, then microwave it for 1 min. Take it out and sprinkle some water on it for moisture. Reheat it again in Microwave for another 1-1.5 min.
- Air Fryer: If its out of fridge and cold, put it in Air Fryer for 2 mins at 130 degree. Spinkle some water on the sabudana khichdi and put it again in air fryer for another 2 minute.
- Take out and season it with fresh coriander before serving.