Shakarkand ke gulab jamun is a unique and innovative dessert recipe. This recipe is ideal for vrats as it is falahari. Not only it provides nourishment but also provides a mouth watering experience. Learn how to make sweet potato gulab jamun.
1 boiled Sweet Potato (Shakarkandi)
1 boiled Potato
1/4 cup Khoya
2 tsp milk powder
A pinch of Baking Soda
A pinch of Cardamom powder
1 tblsp Chopped almond & pista flakes
Oil For frying
1 cup Sugar
1 cups Water
Few Saffron strands
1/2 tsp Cardamom Seed Powder
Few Drops rose essence
How To Make Sweet Potato Gulab Jamun :
- To make sugar syrup :
- Boil water and add sugar to it.
- Keep stirring it till you get one string consistency syrup. Once done switch off the flame and let it cool. Later add rose essence and cardamom powder and mix. Keep aside.
- To make the balls:
- Boil both the potatoes and peel them. Once slightly cold mash them into fine paste so that there are no lumps.
- Now take this mashed mixture in a large plate, add soda and mash them with the palm of your hand. This will give a smooth texture.
- After mashing for 2 – 3 minutes add mashed and kneaded khoya to this mixture.
- Knead this mixture for 1 more minute to get a smooth and soft dough.
- Now take a small lemon size ball in your palm and roll it into a smooth ball with no cracks. Make balls of the entire mixture and keep aside.
- Frying the jamuns:
- Heat the ghee and before putting the balls switch off the fire.
- Put the sweet potato balls in the ghee. Once the balls increase in size and rise to the surface again turn on the flame. Fry them onlow heat and stirring them until golden brown.
- Prick each ball with a toothpick at 3 -4 places so that the syrup seeps in. Soak these balls in the already prepared sugar syrup for 10 – 15 minutes. Before soaking make sure that sugar syrup is at room temperature otherwise if its too hot the balls make break.
- While serving garnish with some copped pistachio and almond flakes.
- Tips: If the sugar syrup is too cold and then just get to room temperature before putting the balls do not make it boiling hot.