With Karwa Chauth just a couple of days away… make these mithi mathis for this beautiful occasion. Its a custom to make meethi mathri on Karwa Chauth. These meethi mathri are a childhood favourite. Generally pure ghee is used for shortening.
Meethi Mathri For Karwa Chauth | Sweet Mathri Recipe Karwa Chauth Sargi
- Baking Soda
- Oil For Frying
BTOS Airtight Container 900ml Set Of 6
BPA-free, Food Grade Material Stackable
With sleek transparent bottle body and wide mouth design let these jars add color to your kitchen . These jars are excellent quality, solid and leakproof.
- 2 cups Maida (All Purpose Flour)
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda (Optional)
- 1/2 cup warm Ghee / Oil
- 1/2 cup warm water or as needed
- Oil to fry
- For Chashni :
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tblsp finly chopped Pista
- 1/2 tsp Elaichi Powder (Optional)
- Few Rose Petals (Optional)
How to Make Sweet Mathri :
- In a large bowl mix flour and warm ghee/ oil in it.
- Now rub the flour with your fingertips, the more you do this the better texture the mathris will have.
- The whole mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Start adding 1 tablespoon of warm water each time while mixing and bringing the dough together. Add just enough water to bind the dough together. It will be a hard dough. Cover over with wet cotton cloth and let it rest for about 30 mins.
- After 30 mins smooth out the dough and make small lemon sized balls.
- Now roll each of them into thick puris. Prick all over with a fork or a knife.
- This step prevents them from puffing and helps them to become crispy.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and once it is hot, reduce to low medium heat.
- Put few mathris in, based on the size of the pan and fry till light brown. Do not over crowd the pan.
- Increase the heat to medium high towards the end so that the mathris attain a golden color.
- Drain them on a paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- Once completely cool, prepare the chashni.
- Now in a pan add water and sugar and make sugar syrup of 2 thread consistency (do taar ki chashni). Add elaichi powder and mix well.
- Switch off the gas and let the chashni become lukewarm.
- Now dip the mathris in sugar syrup one by one. Then take them out and garnish with chopped pista and rose petals.
- Place them in a oiled plate. Let the coating get dry.
- After 10 mins carefully take them out and store them in an airtight container.
- Enjoy on your Karwa Chauth Sargi !!!
Storage Tips :
- Let the mathris cool and then store them in an air tight container. These mathri stay good for 10 – 15 days.