With the Karva chauth round the corner this fiki mathri is a must in all the north Indian houses. It is one of the traditional food items are prepared on Karwa Chauth. Punjabis make it a little thicker than their North Indian counterparts. The recipe is very easy to make. Trust me once you will eat this mathri you will never ever buy mathri from store. You can add salt to this same recipe and make it salted mathri. Please do try this recipe.
Fiki Mathri For Karwa Chauth | Phiki Mathri Sargi Special
- Heavy Bottom Kadai / Pan
- All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- Oil For Frying
- 2 Cup maida
- 1/2 cup Ghee / Oil
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Oil For Frying
How to Make Fiki Mathri :
- In a pan heat the ghee / oil ill lukewarm. Using warm ghee till make the mathri crispy.
- In a bowl add maida and lukewarm desi ghee / oil . Mix well. Do not add water at this stage. Just rub the flour between your fingers. Once all the ghee is used up you should feel the flour mixture crumbly. If you hold it between your fist it should hold shape.
- Now gradually add warm water little by little. Knead the dough for 2 – 3 minutes. The dough should be a stiff dough like a poori dough.
- Now cover it with damp cloth and let it rest for 30 mins.
- After 30 minutes remove the wet cloth punch in dough a few times and then make small balls.
- Now roll it into a 3 – 4 inch diameter circle. It should be around 3/4 cm thick, repeat with the rest fo the portions.
- Take a fork or knife and make a few cuts in each mathri to avoid puffing.
- Take sufficient oil in a kadai for deep frying and heat it on medium flame for around 5 minutes. Reduce the flame to low and add 4-5 mathris in it according to the size of your kadhai.
- Fry them on the low heat till they turn golden from both the sides flipping them once or twice. Ideally it takes around 10 minutes for each batch to achieve that.
- Let them cool for around half an hour before you stor them.
- These phiki mathri will be crisp from the outside and very khasta from inside.
- Your fiki mathri for sargi is ready.
- Happy Karwa Chauth !! Happy Feasting ….
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Fiki Mathri :
- Pickle: Serve with Mango Pickle, Hari Mirch ka Aachar.
- Chai: Serve with hot masala chai, Aadrak Elaichi Chai
Storage Tips :
- You can store the fiki mathri for 15 – 20 days. So as soon as the mathri come to room temperature put them in an air tight container.