Here is the recipe for shakarpara. Shakarpare are sugar coated flour pieces which are deep fried. Shakkarpare can be stored for 2 -3 weeks.
- All-purpose flour – 500 gms
- Ghee – 100 gms
- Baking powder – 11/2 tsp
- Water to knead
- Oil for frying
For the coating –
- Sugar – 300 gms
- Water – 100 ml
How to make shakarpara:
- Sieve the flour and then add ghee to it. Mix the mixture till it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the baking powder and then with the help of water knead it into a stiff dough.
- Cover it with a damp cloth for 10-15 min.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Divide the dough into three long rolls.
- Roll each portion to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with knife into 1/2 inch pieces.
- When the oil gets perfect hot fry the pieces on medium flame for 10-12 minutes or till the pare are crisp and light golden.
- Drain them on a paper tissue and fry the remaining pieces in the same way.
To make the syrup (coating)
- In a pan boil the water and the sugar till it reaches one-string consistency
- Remove from fire, add the pare all together and coat the pare evenly with the help of a flat spoon.
- Do not mix too much, as the sugar will harden.
- Take them out and let them dry for a while.
- Store in airtight container.