1 tsp garlic (lasan) paste
2 tblsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
1 inch piece ginger(adrak),peeled thinly sliced
3 tblsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (dhania patta)
3-4 medium tomatoes (tamatar) roughly chopped
1 kg onion (pyaj)
750 g. chicken cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 cup oil (tel)
2 bay leaves (tej patta) crushed
How to make murgh do piaza:
- Fnely slice the 2 onions and roughly cut the rest of the onions.
- Mix in the chilli powder, ground coriander, turmeric and salt to the chicken and mix well to cover the chicken pieces.
- Lightly grease a heavy based sauce pot with 1 tblsp of oil.
- Spread half of the cut onions on the bottom.
- Add the chicken pieces and layer the rest of the cut onions on top.
- Cover pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until the onions are a pulp and the chicken is tender.
- Heat up oil in another pan.
- Mix in cut onions, ginger and garlic, stirring frequently fry for 8-10 minutes to a golden color.
- Mix in the bay leaves stir fry for another minute stirring frequently.
- Mix in tomatoes and stir fry until the tomatoes are lower to a pulp.
- Mix in meat and onions to it.
- Stir well to mix all the ingredients.
- Stir frequently, fry the mixture until it is well browned and a thick onion sauce has formed.
- Add lemon juice and fry for another minute.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.