5 tblsp vegetable oil (vanaspati tel)
2 cinnamon (tuj/dalchini) sticks
6 garlic (lasan) cloves
1 tblsp cardamom seeds
1 large onion (pyaj) chopped
2 garlic (lasan) cloves,crushed
1 1/2″ fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 lb lean lamb, cubed
1 1/4 cup yogurt
1 tsp saffron (kesar) threads, soaked in 2 tblsp boiling water
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup ground almond
1 tsp salt (namak)
1 1/2 cup coconu (narial) milk
2 dried red chillies
How to make badami gosht:
- Heat up oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Mix in cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion and stir fry till soft
- Stirring occasionally.
- Mix in garlic and ginger and fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in lamb cubes and fry until brown for about 5 minutes.
- Whip yogurt, saffron mixture, salt and chili powder and mix in to lamb cubes.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Grind almonds with enough water to form a thick paste.
- Add paste and whole chilies to lamb cubes, stir well to mix paste with gravy.
- Simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Mix in coconut milk, lower the flame, cover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 35-40 minutes or until lamb is cooked throughly.
- Uncover the pot for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- transfer to a slightly heated up dish and serve hot.