125 gms Butter
125 gms Sugar (Cheeni)
1 cup Refined Flour (Atta)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 pinch Salt (Namak)
1/2 tsp dried Ginger (Adrak) Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (Tuj/Dalchini) Powder
1/4 tsp Nutmeg (Jaiphal) Powder
125 gms Currants (Kishmish)
125 gms Sultanas
125 gms Raisins (Kishmish)
1/2 cup chopped Mixed Fruit
500 gms Marzipan
How to make simnel cake:
- In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and ground spices.
- Blend in with the butter mixture, adding little milk if required to facilitate blending.
- Add currants, sultanas, raisins and mixed fruit to the batter.
- Butter a 9 inch cake tin and pour in half the batter.
- Roll out half the marzipan to fit the circumference of the pan.
- Place over the cake batter.
- Pour the rest of the batter over the marzipan.
- Bake in a preheated oven (180 c) for about one hour.
- Remove cake form the oven when cool, decorate the top of the cake with the remainng marzipan.