Kheer is a very traditional Indian dessert loved by all. Rice Kheer is creamy, rich and a delight for the taste buds. Serving chilled kheer at the end of any dinner or lunch makes the whole experience divine. Cooking chawal ki kheer is easy but requires patience and time. Slow cooking is the key word here. Simmering rice and milk for an 1 hour or more gives a beauitful texture to it. Here is a easy and simple original rice kheer recipe without condensed milk.
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
Serves:3 – 4
Kheer Ingredients List:
- 1/4th cup long grain Basmati rice
- 4-5 cups full fat milk
- 2-3 cardamom seeds (crushed)
- 2 tbsp almonds (blanched)
- A pinch of saffron threads
- 1 tbsp skinned pistachio nuts (chopped)
- 1 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp sugar or as desired
- Silver Varak
How to make rice kheer without condensed milk :
- Soak saffron in 1 tblsp of warm milk and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 mins.
- Heat milk in a large heavy bottom pan/ kadai.
- When the milk begins to boil add rice and on low flame let it simmer gently until the rice is soft and the grains are starting to break up. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid sticking of rice in the bottom of the pan .
- Cook it till the quantity of the mixture is reduced to 3/4 of its original volume.
- Now add chopped almonds, pistachio, soaked saffron, crushed cardamom and raisins and simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove the rice kheer from heat in a serving dish and let it cool.
- Later garnish with chopped almonds and pista. Add some varak also.
- You can serve the rice kheer either warm or chilled as you prefer.
- Note: 1. Kheer tastes extra good if refrigerated overnight. 2. You can choose any nuts you prefer – cashewnuts, pista, almonds, walnuts and raisins. Even dates can be added. 3. You can replace green cardamom with rose water too. 4. Serving Idea – Serve chilled kheer with hot piping jalebi is an awesome combination.