Urad daal is very easy to make and delicious. Sukhi urad dal is a very good tiffin option where in you can pack in some protein without making a messy affair. Learn how to make dry urad dal.
- 1 cup Urad (white) daal / Split Black Urad
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Tomato diced (optional)
- 1tsp Ginger grated
- 1-2 Green chilies chopped
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 bayleaves (tejpatta)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Garam masala
- Red chili powder to taste
- 2tbsp oil
- 1tsp lemon juice
How to make dry urad dal:
- Clean and wash the daal properly. Soak it in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Boil it in 5 cups of water. Boil till it becomes soft. It should not become pasty. The dal should hold its shape. Remove the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add cloves, bayleaves and cumin seeds,allow to splutter.
- Now add ginger, onion and green chili and stir-fry till golden brown.
- Add tomato (if using) and fry till it softens. Add all dry masalas (turmeric powder, chili powder, salt) and fry for a moment.
- Now add daal and lemon juice, mix very gently.
- Sprinkle garam masala and garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot.