Arhar dal with raw mango is made with the combination of arhar dal and raw green mango. It is quite popular in the eastern part of India like Bengal. Arhar dal tastes great with plain rice and generally preferred in summer season. Discover how to make tok dal aka mangao dal.
Cooking time :30 minutes
Serves : 3-4 people
- 1 cup arhar dal / pigeon beans
- 1 cup raw mango cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp clarified butter / ghee / oil
- A pinch of asafetida / hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 5 -6 curry leaves
- 1 dried red chili (broken)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1tbsp ginger grated
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
How to make arhar dal with green mango:
- Wash arhar dal and soak it in 3 cup of water for 30 minutes before cooking it.
- Drain and put dal in a pan with 2 cups of water; add turmeric, raw mango ,sugar and salt to it. Boil for 30 minutes until lentils are mushy and mango is blended well with dal. The consistency of the dal should be thick.
- Take a frying pan, heat ghee in it and add mustard seeds. When they sputter add the hing, curry leaves, dried red chilly and grated ginger.
- Reduce the heat and when the ginger gets slightly fried pour the mixture over the cooked lentils and stir well. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Mix garam masala and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with plain rice.