MALABAR CHEMMEEN KARI RECIPE
1 kg. (small) prawns
6 pieces kodumpuli
4 curd (dahi) chillies
2 green chillies
2 raw mangoes
2 sprigs curry leaves (kari patta)
4 red chillies whole
1 tblsp red chilli (lal mirch) powder
1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
1 tblsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
6 tblsp oil (tel)
1 tblsp coconut (narial) oil (tel)
salt to taste
1/2 cup sambar onions ( pyaj)
2 cups coconut (narial) (scraped)
How to make malabar chemmeen kari:
- Clean, de-vein and wash the prawns. Pat them dry and marinate in turmeric powder and little salt.
- Peel and chop the onion, wash and slit the green chillies and the curd chillies.
- Cut the drumstick into 3" pieces. Peel the mangoes and cut into wedges.
- Lightly pound the methi seeds and keep. Soak and grind coconuts with ½ cup warm water and extract thick milk and keep. Keep the coconut residue also.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a vessel, add the onion and fry till transparent. Add the masala powders and stir.
- Put in the green and curd chillies, curry leaves and the kodumpuli. Add the coconut residue and 4 cups of water. Boil till it reduces by half and thickens.
- Strain the curry through a mesh pressing well to extract all the flavors. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and coconut oil, add the methi seeds and the whole red chillies and stir well.
- Add the marinated prawns, drumsticks and mangoes. Cook till the prawns are 3/4th done.
- Pour in the curry and simmer till it combines well, add salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut milk and reheat to simmering point.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...