SHAHI KAJU ALOO RECIPE
300 gms Potato (Aloo)
4 tblsp Cashewnut (Kaju) soaked in 1/4 cup water
1 tblsp chopped Ginger (Adrak)
1 tsp chopped Garlic (Lasun)
1/2 tsp Black Cumin Seed (Shah Jeera)
1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
2 chopped Onion (Pyaj)
a pinch of Turmeric (Haldi)
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
2 tblsp chopped Coriander Leaves (Dhania Patta)
1/4 cup beaten Curd (Dahi)
1/4 cup Milk
Oil for frying
How to make shahi kaju aloo:
- Wash potatoes and peel and cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Fry the potatoes to a deep golden brown and keep aside.
- Grind cashewnuts, ginger and garlic to a paste in a grinder.
- Keep this paste aside.
- Heat some of the oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add black cumin and bay leaf.
- Wait for 30 seconds till cumin seeds stop spluttering.
- Add onions and cook on low flame till onions turn soft but do not
let them turn brown.
- Add turmeric and garam masala. Stir to mix well.
- Add the paste prepared earlier. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add yogurt and stir fry till water evaporates.
- Cook till it dries.
- Add milk and about 1/2 cup of water to the gravy.
- Boil and simmer for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes and chopped coriander to the garvy and
simmer on low flame.
- Cook on low flame till the gravy thickens and coats all the
- Serve hot with nan or paranthas.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...