SABUDANA (SAGO) KHICHIDI RECIPE
1 cup sabudana(sago)
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 Green Chillies chopped lengthwise
1/2 cup peanuts
1 boiled and peeled potato
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Pinch Hing (asafoetida)
2 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
1 tsp Lemon juice
Salt to taste
Few Coriander leaves
Few Curry Leaves
How to make sabudana khichidi :
- Washing And Soaking:
Wash the sabudana in water 2 -3 times. Then soak them in water just enough to cover the top of the sabudana. Use a flat bottom vessel for soaking. Soak the sabudana in water for 6 - 8 hrs before you plan to make the khichdi. Every 2 - 3 hrs fluff them with the help of a fork. Later if you feel that the sabudana still has a hard center then sprinkle some water on them and wait for 30 mins for them to get soft. Fluff again with a fork and check. Repeat the process till you get perfectly soft centered pearly sabudana. Each and every pearl will be soft and well shaped. Also the sabudanas will double in volume.
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and hing. When the cumin seeds crackle add the green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped potatoes and stir well. Let them cook till they are light brown on the outside. Add sabudana mixture and mix gently. Let it cook for 10 - 15 mins stirring occasionally and scraping the sabudana layer from the bottom of the vessel. When the pearls get translucent and shiny sabudana is ready.
- Then add crushed peanuts, sugar and salt. Stir and make sure every thing gets mixed well.
- Add the grated coconut and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice over it and serve hot.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...