6 - 8 cloves garlic
3 - 4 baby brinjals
6 -8 potatoes small
1 tsp turmeric powder
5 tblsp oil
100 gms yam (kand)
25 - 30 broad beans (sem fali)
4 green chillies
2 tblsp coconut scraped
a pinch asafoetida
2 raw bananas
1 cup coriander leaves
2 inch ginger
1 tsp mustard
1/4 cup Bengal Gram Flour (besan)1/4 cup
Salt to taste
1/2 cup Fenugreek Leaves (methi)1/2 cup
1/2 inch Ginger
1 - 2 Green Chillies1-2
Oil to deep fry
Salt to taste
How to make undhiyo :
- Wash, take off and dice potatoes, yam and raw bananas.
- Wash brinjals and slit them into four without cutting the stem.
- Make a paste of garlic, green chillies and ginger and mix cut coriander.
- Mix all the muthiya ingredients except oil and prepare a firm dough.
- Divide into small portions and shape each into one-inch long half-inch thick rolls.
- Deep fry in hot oil, remove and keep aside.
- String beans and cut into one-inch long pieces.
- Heat up oil in a thick-bottomed handi, mix in asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle mix in ground masala and broad beans.
- Put the rest of the vegetables in layers one on top of the other.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir fry for five minutes on high flame heat.
- Pour out one cup of water, cover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) on a very low heat up for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in fried muthiyas and again simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 15 minutes.
- Shake the vegetables occasionally but do not use a spoon to stir.
- Serve hot decorated with scraped coconut.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...