Kanji vada though an unusual drink is delicious and refreshing. Kanji vada drink is generally made around the festival of Holi. Here is a simple kanji vada recipe.
Serves : 5 – 6 Glasses
Total time : 3 – 5 days
- 200 gms Moong Dal Chilka (Split Green Beans)
- 1 tsp Red Chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp Whole Coriander Seeds (Dhania)
- 1/2 tsp Saunf
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- Oil for deep frying
For Kanji Water
- 2 tblsp Rai Powder(Mustard)
- Black Salt
- Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- Salt To Taste
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 1/2 litre Water
How to make kanji vada:
- Heat tawa (griddle) on low flame and put a pinch of hing on it.
- Take an earthenware pot (matka) and as soon as the hing emits an aroma (smoke), hold the pot upside down on the tawa to soak up the smell.Do this for 60 secs.
- Now fill the pot water and add rai, salt and chili powder, mix well.
- Cover the mouth of the pot tightly with muslin / cheese colth.
- Keep the pot in sunlight for 3 – 5 days.
- Take care to keep the pot inside in a warm place at night. And take it out in the sun next day. Remember to stir it everyday.
- Depending on the weather after 3 – 5 days when the kanji tastes sour, it is ready to be served.
- Before serving add the fried and soaked vadas to the kanji and let it ferment for few more hours.
- Clean, wash and soak the daal overnight.
- Grind it into smooth paste by adding little by little water.
- Add all the other ingredients. Now with your palm beat the mixture till it is very light and fluffy.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop 4 – 5 balls of batter with the help of spoon in the oil and fry till golden brown on a moderate heat.
- Take care not to make the vadas too thick and big.
- Drain out the fried vadas in a bowl of salted water for soaking.
1.You can add carrots and beetroot pieces to add more color and flavour and nutritiion.
2. You can also use urad dal instead of moong dal.