Kashmiri Rogan Josh is a very important part of the Kashmiri Wazwan. Rogan means “red” and Josh means “Hot or Passion”.
Rogan Josh means cooked in Kashmiri red chillies to get that fiery Red color gravy. The authentic Rogan Josh is easy to make and does not include tomatoes, onions, ream or garam masala. The rich bright red color comes from the liberal use of dried Kashmiri red chillies. Learn how to make Kashmiri Rogan Josh. It has a very distinct flavor of fennel and ginger.
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
Serves: 2 – 3
- 1/2 Kg Mutton Chopped
- 1/2 cup Thick Hung Curd (Dahi)
- 1 Green Chilli Slit Lengthwise
- 80 ml Mustard oil
- 1 tspGhee
- A pinch of Saffron (dissolved in water)
- 3 – 4 Cloves
- 2 Black Cardomom
- 2 -3 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 tsp Salt (or to Taste)
- 3/4 tblsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Powder (Saunf)
- A pinch Asafoetida (Hing Powder)
- Take a heavy bottom pan and pour the mustard oil in it and heat it till its smoking point. Switch off the flame and let the oil get little cold or it will burn everything.
- Later on low flame and add the black cardamom, cloves and green cardamom. Once they begin to sputter add the cumin seed and hing.
- Now add the ginger powder, fennel powder and Kashmiri red chilly.Add the whisked curd.
- Mix and add the mutton pieces and salt and fry till all the curd dries up. Cotinue cooking the meat till all the mutton pieces get an even golden brown color.
- Add 1/2 cup of warm water, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and green chilli.
- Continue till all the water evaporates and the mutton pieces gets further brown.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the saffron water and let the mutton simmer in the oil till it gets done and is fork tender.
- When the gravy turns Rogan (red), thick and oily add the ghee and further cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or Kashmiri Naan.