Pav Bhaji is an all time favourite meal in many Indian homes. It is a simple dish that can be relished during any meal. It is made without potato, onion, garlic and ginger. But tastes good and yummy. Here is tried and tested recipe which is so good that you will never like any restaurant version.
Jain Pav Bhaji Without Potato and Onion Garlic | Pav Bhaji With Banana Jain Style
- Pressure Cooker
- Raw Banana (Kaccha Kela)
- Cauliflower (Phool Gobh)
- Tomatoes (Tamatar)
- Capsicum (Shimla Mirch)
- 1/2 Raw Banana
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1 1/2 cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1 cup shredded Cabbage
- 1 medium sized Capsicum
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Jain Pav Bhaji Masala (Recipe Given Below)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Red Kashmiri Chilli Powder (For Color)
- 2 pinch Cumin Seeds
- 3 tsp Oil
- salt to taste
- 4-5 Pav Buns
- Butter as required
- Fresh Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Lemon wedges for garnishing
Pav Bhaji Masala Powder
- 4 tblsp Coriander Seeds
- 3 Black Cardamom
- 2 small Bay Leaf
- 2 tblsp Jeera
- 2 tblsp Peppercorn
- 1 tblsp Saunf
- 5 – 6 Red Chillies
- 2″ inch Cinnamon
- 7 Cloves
- 1 tsp Sonth Pwd
- 1 tsp Kala Namak
- 1 tblsp Amchur
- 1/4 tsp Javitri Powder
- 1/4 tsp Jaiphal Powder
How to Make Jain Pav Bhaji :
Making the Jain Pav Bhaji Masala
- Roast all the whole spices on a tawa or pan on low flame.
- Keep stirring constantly so as not to burn the spices. When the spices attain a light brown hue and masala smell begins to emanate. Switch off the flame and transfer the spices to bowl and let it cool down.
- Once the spices are mildly cool, put them in a spice grinder and make a fine powder of them.
- Your jain pav bhaji masala is ready. Use some now and put the remaining in an airtight container for later use.
- Wash the cauliflower, cabbage and green peas. Transfer to a pressure cooker.
- Wash and peel the raw banana and cube it. Add to the cooker along with 1/2 cup water, a pinch of turmeric and salt. Cook on medium flame for 2-3 whistles.
- Keep aside till steam escapes. Use a hand blender / traditional potato masher to mash up the boiled veggies into a coarse paste. Do not make it a fine paste it will not taste good.
- Chop the capsicum and tomatoes finely.
- Heat 3 tsp oil and a bit of butter in a pan. When sufficiently hot, add the cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds stop spluttering, add chopped capsicum. Fry for 1 minute before adding the tomatoes. Cover with a lid for 1 min. Remove lid and crush the softened tomatoes with a spatula.
- Add all the powdered masalas along with a little salt. Fry for 1-2 mins before adding the mashed veggies.
- Cook for 8-10 min to blend all the flavors. Adjust salt if required and add a few teaspoons of hot water if it is getting too dry. Sprinkle coriander leaves and remove from flame.
- Heat 1-2 tsp butter in a separate pan. Fry the pav to a light golden.
- Garnish the bhaji with a dollop of butter, more coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Serve hot with the pav.
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Jain Pav Bhaji:
- There are many dishes that can be served with Pav Bhaji.
- You can serve many street style dishes like – Paneer Kathi Rolls, Dhokla, Dahi Papdi, Gol Gappe, Gulab Jamun, Ice Cream and Masala Soda.
Storage Tips :
- You can definitely store bhaji for 2 – 3days in fridge and 2 – 3 weeks in deep freezer.
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: Pour a little bit of water or oil to retain the moisture in the dish. Try to cover it with a microwave safe lid. Reheat it for 2 mins in microwave.
Best way to reheat is to start with reheating for 20 seconds, take it out, add sprinkle water or oil a bit, and reheat again in microwave for another 1-2 mins.
Put a half cup filled of water next to the dish to soak up extra moisture.
Stovetop: Keep heat low to avoid overcooking.
Add a bit of butter of your choice in a pan and pour the bhaji in it and cover the pan with a lid.
Flip and stir it regularly to avoid the bhaji sticking to the pan.
Cook on low heat for evenly cooking.
If the bhaji is too thick add 1/2 cup of water separately and add it to the dish.