Khichra is porridge like dish made from various dals, lamb, broken wheat and rice. Here is a simple recipe of Khichra.
1/2 kg Boneless lamb
1/2 cup Ghee
2 large Sliced onions
1 tsp Ginger paste
1 tsp Garlic paste
1 cup Broken wheat
1/4 cup Masoor dal
1/4 cup Toovar dal
1/4 cup Bengal gram
1/4 cup Green gram
1 tsp Red chilli powder
2 nos. Cloves
6 nos. Cardamom
2 inch Cinnamon
1/2 cup Rice
few sprig Chopped mint leaves
1 bunch Chopped coriander leaves
4-5 tblsp Lemon juice
As per requirement Water
As per taste Salt
How to make khichra:
- Cut lamb into pieces. Soak meat in water for an hour.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan. Fry onions on low heat till brown and crisp.
- Drain and keep half aside for garnishing later.
- Fry meat, ginger and garlic in ghee in which onions were fried and mix with the onions still in the frying pan.
- Add 4 cups water and cook wheat, mutton and dals, salt, chilly powder cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon together for about 40 minutes or till meat is tender.
- Add rice and cook till soft, adding water if required.
- Mash the mixture, chop and add mint leaves, coriander leaves and lime juice and put on low heat for 5 minutes.
- The dish should be like a porridge.
- Serve garnished with fried onions, sprigs of mint, green chillies and slices of lime.