A mix of rich ingredients like dry fruits, whole spices, sugar and milk are used to make this dish of sweet, saffron rice.
- 2 cup basmati rice
- 2 1/2 c water
- 2 c sugar
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 2-3 tb cashews, cut and roasted in ghee
- 4-5 whole cardomoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 pc cinnamon, broken
- 2 tb almonds, blanched and cut
- 1/2 ts saffron strands, soaked in ¼ cup hot milk
- 21/2 tb ghee.
How to make Zafrani Pulao :
- Start by washing and soaking rice for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a deep heavy dish and into it add cardomoms, cloves and cinnamon and let it splutter.
- Now you should put in the soaked and drained rice and mix well.
- Add water and cook covered till rice is half done.
- Add in the milk now and cook some more.
- To this add the soaked saffron and mix nicely.
- Now you can mix in sugar and dry fruits.
- Cover the pan now and cook till rice is done nicely but remember that each grain of rice should be separate and not mashed.
- Garnish with freshly cut dry fruits and serve hot.