Imarti is a popular recipe of Uttar Pradesh. It is considered a delicacy and is consumed on special occasions.
- 2 cup urad dal
- 3 cup sugar
- 300 ml water
- saffron colour
- 1/2 tsp. cardomom ground
- 500 gms. ghee to fry
How to make imarti:
- Soak urad dal overnight in plenty of water.
- Wash and drain. Grind to fine thick batter. Put water little by little.
- Add colour and mix very well.
- If using a mixie, beat the dal well by hand till fluffy after grinding.
- Keep aside for 3 hours. More is weather is cold.
- Make 1 tar sugar syrup as shown in introduction.
- Add cardomom powder to syrup.
- Using either an imarti bottle (with nozzle) or cloth as shown in note, form imartis in the hot ghee. Lower flame and allow to crisp turning once.
- Remove from ghee, drain and dip in hot syrup.
- Soak for 3-4 minutes, drain and serve.
- Repeat for remaining batter.
- Make 4-5 imartis at a time, depending on size of frying pan.