Here is a simple gujiya without mawa or khoya recipe. Many people prefer to eat gujiya without mawa or khoya either this one stays longer or maybe because these stay fresh for long as there are only dry ingredients only. They prefer the coconut filling. They taste very different from the khoya or mawa ones and they stay fresh also for longer period.
- For the dough / shell
- 2 cups Maida
- 1/4 cup Fine Suji (Semolina)
- 3 tblsp Hot Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Water to knead a dough
- For the filling
- 3/4 cup Gur (Jaggery) or Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup desicated Dry Coconut
- 2 tblsp Ghee
- 1 tblsp chopped nuts (kaju, badam, pista)
- 1/2 Cardamom Powder (Elaichi Powder)
- Ghee for deep frying
How to make gujiya without khoya:
- Take a bowl add maida, fine suji, salt and ghee.
- Rub it well with your finger tips and add water little by little to knead a dough. The dough should be like a Poori dough neither too stiff nor too soft.
- Keep covered with a damp muslin cloth for half hour.
- Meanwhile melt ghee in a pan, add grated/crumbled jaggery.
- Allow the jaggery to melt, add the desicated coconut.
- When the mixture forms a lump, add the cardamom powder, switch off the gas. Keep aside and let the mixture cool.
- After half hour knead the dough again for a 2 mins this makes the gujiyas more crisp.
- Now roll out small puris, hold them in your palms and put a tbsp full of the coconut jaggery mixture in the center and then apply some water on the inner boundary and seal the ends with the tip of your finger tips.Make sure no openings are left. Otherwise while frying the stuffing will come out.
- Now place the gujiya on a flat surface and using a fork, press the fork against the edges to form frills. Moulds are also avialable for making gujiyas in the market. You can use that too.
- Prepare all the gujiyas and place them in flat tray or plate. Keep covering them with damp muslin cloth as you prepare more so that they do not get dried.
- Now heat the oil for frying on medium flame. It is important not to over heat the oil as the gujias will get dark from outside while the inner layer will stay raw.
- Now one by one release the gujiyas in the oil. Do not let too many gujiyas at one go. They will break each other while flipping.
- Be patient while frying. Deep fry till crispy and evenly browned on both sides.
- Now take them out on a kitchen tissue to remove excess oil.
- Store them in air tight container once the gujiyas cool down.
Storage Tips :
- Once the gujiya gets cool, keep in airtight containers.
- Place a paper tissue on the base of the container in which you will store the gujiyas.
- These gujiyas can survive for over a month as it has no wet ingredient.