Here is a super easy baked Gujiya recipe. If your health demands lowering the oil and ghee consumption then that does not mean that you cannot have your favourite sweets on Holi. Oven baked mawa gujiya taste very good and can lift your Holi spirit completely. So do not let your health let you dampen your Holi spirit. Lets lean how to make baked gujiya.
- For the outer covering:
- 2 cups Maida (All Purpose Flour)
- 5 tblsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Cold Water
- For Stuffing:
- 250 gms Khoya
- 1/2 cup Grated Desiccated Coconut
- 1 1/2 cup powdered Sugar
- 1 tblsp Almond Slivers (Badam)
- 1 tblsp Raisin (Khishmish)
- 1/2 tblsp chopped finely Kaju (Cashew Nuts)
- 1tsp Green Cardamom Powder
How To Make oven baked gujiya:
- Take a bowl and mix maida and ghee and with your fingers mix them together to get a crumbly mixture. Crumbly means that when hold the flour-ghee mixture in a closed fist it should hold light shape of your fist. Add more ghee if required. Do not add water right now.
- Now using little cold water form a dough enough to just bind the dough together so that it could be rolled out – do not knead. Create a ball and leave it covered with a moist cloth for 1/2 hour.
- In a pan lightly roast the khoya. It should just turn light brown and moisture should evaporate. Keep stirring it continously or it will burn. Take it off the flame once done.
- In a separate bowl mix together the stuffing ingredients and roasted khoya.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Now take a small ball out of the dough and start rolling out small circles of dough – if you have a mold fine, else use a katori to cut the dough into round pieces.
- Apply ghee to the dough, except for the edges. Apply little cold water on the edge with your finger. The water helps the edge seal. Squeeze the stuffing in your fist to make a tight cylinder and place it in the middle of the dough.
- Flip the dough shut into a semi-circle and seal the edges. The mold makes this process easy. Without it, use a fork to press down on the edge. It creates the trademark design on the gujiya.
- Add a thin film of ghee on the outside of the gujiya.
- Place the gujiya on a baking tray that is lightly coated with ghee. Bake for 25 mins. Flip it after 10 mins.
- You can even use Air Fryer for baking.
- You can use ready made puff pastry to make baked gujiya. This will save lots of your time. But remember to thaw the sheets before use.