Besan sev is quite simple to make, in this the dough is prepared from chickpea flour adding various spices like black pepper ,chili powder, crushed cloves , carom seed and asafetida. To make the sev special sev press is used. The crispy chickpea namkeen can be enjoyed as a topping for various chaats or a plain snack with tea..
Cooking time: 30 minute
- 200 gms chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp carom seed (ajwain)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4-5 cloves (crushed)
- Pinch of asafeotida
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Take a big mixing bowl; add gram flour, red chili powder, ajwain, black pepper, oil, crushed cloves, asafeotida and salt. With the help of a spoon mix them well.
- Slowly add water little by little, keep mixing it with spoon and make soft dough so that it is easily pressed through sev maker. Leave the dough aside for 10 minute.
- Heat the oil in a kadai, for 6 to 7 minute, while oil is heating up, take the sev maker and use the disc with smallest holes. Grease the inside of sev maker and fill half with the dough.
- Once oil is hot reduce the heat, bring the sev press over the oil and start pressing, as soon as noodles fall slowly move the maker in a circular motions so that they do not stick together.
- Take a fork and separate the sev while it’s frying. Let the sev fry for one minute then turn them to other side. Fry for another minute, sev fry very quickly, it will take about two minute to fry on medium heat. Once they become golden in color. Take it out from the hot oil over the paper napkin.
- Reduce the heat before frying the other batch of sev, and once you drop the sev in the kadai fry it on the medium heat. Do the same process with the remaining dough.
- After the sev cool downs completely, store it in air tight container.
- Enjoy the crispy bean sev with tea or coffee.