Wheatgrass helps in throwing the toxins from the body and helps in boosting the cell regeneration. It is an easy way to detox your body at home.
Benefits of Wheatgrass:
- It boosts the hemoglobin production.
- Rebuilds the bloodstream.
- Helps in healing the wounds.
- Improves digestion.
- Cleans the liver.
- Purifies the blood in the entire body.
Growing Wheatgrass at home:
It is economical and hygienic to grow and juice the wheatgrass at home.
Plastic basins, clay pots or trays which are about 6″ – 8″ in diameter and 3″ high are perfect for growing wheatgrass. First fill up 2 ½” of the basin with the soil.
For planting, clean and wash the wheat grains and soak them overnight in water. Spread the soaked grains in the pot filled with soil the next day. Sprinkle a thin layer of soil to cover the grains.
Darkness helps the grains to sprout quickly. So it is advisable to cover the pot with any newspaper or cloth and place it on a balcony. Remember to spray the grains daily with some water till the green leaves sprout up. Keep covering the pots with the newspaper till then. Later stop covering the pots.
Water the plants lightly but adequately depending on the season and on whether the pots have drainage holes or not.
In a week from the sowing the grass will be about 8″ tall. Cut it with clean scissors about ½ “above the soil surface. This harvested wheatgrass is ready to be juiced. The grass will grow back in a week’s time. After the second harvest crush all the roots and mix with the soil. The soil is ready for a fresh sowing.
How To Juice The Wheatgrass:
It is advisable not to use mixer, grinders or blenders to juice the wheatgrass as the rapid blade movement oxidizes the chlorophyll and will make the wheatgrass useless. It is better to manually mince the grass on a stone grinder or with a mortal and pestle. You may also use electric juicer.
- Cut the grass ½ “above the soil surface with the help of a knife or scissors.
- If using the juicer then take out the juice as described in the juicer manual. In case you are using mortal and pestle, first chop the leaves and while adding little water at a time, grind it into a fine paste. Then using a clean muslin cloth, strain the juice in a cup. Again repeat the process using the same leaves till the grass turns white.