Here is a list of necessary Indian food items to store for emergency or for lockdown like situations. This is not an exhaustive list but keep adding items as when needed.
MUST HAVE KITCHEN ESSENTIALS :
- Cooking Gas
- Drinking Water
- Induction cooktop or Electric Kettle (In case of cooking gas gets over)
Non Perishable Indian Kitchen Staple Items:
Here is a list of dry items which can stay for long and there is no fear of their getting spoilt for months.
- Atta (Whole Wheat Flour)
- Sooji / Rawa
DAL & LEGUMES
- Moong Dal
- Toor Dal
- Urad Dal
- Chana Dal
Salt & Sugar (MOST IMPORTANT) – In very emergency situation, salt and sugar are the most essential kitchen ingredients that we must stock for cooking any dish. So store them well in air-tight boxes.
- Coriander Powder
- Red Chilly Powder
- Garam Masala
- Black Pepper
- Store at least two packets of refined oil which can be used to prepare any kind of dishes.
- Milk Powder – In case the fresh milk supply is affected milk powder is a very good alternative and has a very good shelf life.
- Tomato Puree – To use when fresh tomatoes get over.
- Instant Noodles
- Cheese Spread
- Raita Boondi – can be used to prepare raitas as accompaniment to khichdi, pulao and biryani. Infact you can prepare boondi ki sabji. The recipe is super easy.
- Canned Beans
Snacks – Some ready to eat snacks for kids – cookies, fryums, trail mix, nachos.
Vegetables: If possible store potatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies in bulk. These vegetables do not spoil for many days if stored properly. And with potato and onion you can practically make lots and lots of easy quick recipes. If buying tomatoes – buy green tomatoes and put them in a basket in some corner and let them ripen on their own. This will increase the shelf life of the tomatoes immensely.
Frozen Foods – Peas, Sweet Corn, Cheese
Fruits – There are few fruits which have good shelf life.