- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 litre Oil (for frying)
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 3 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- Few Almonds
- Few Raisins
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
How to make gujiya:
- In a mixing bowl combine the salt, flour and ghee. Rub in well. Gradually add water and knead to form a firm dough. Cover with wet cloth and set aside.
- For the stuffing: Cook the coconut (use fresh or dried) sugar, milk, chopped almonds and raisins, cardamom powder, and poppy seeds(optional) till the milk evaorates.
- Divide the dough into 20-25 sections, roll them out into flat round pancakes. Place a spoon of stuffing at the centre and fold the pancake in half. Use a cutter to create the fluted crescent border
and cut off excess dough. You can seal the edges by applying a little milk and pressing down hard.
- After all the karanjis are stuffed, fry them in very hot oil for 2-3 minutes or till golden brown, remove onto paper towels and allow
- The karanji can last for 7-8 days if stored in an air tight container.