Here’s a delicious, spicy and sweet dal recipe. Learn how to make gujarati dal.
- 1 cup split red gram lentil (arhar dal)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (raai)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 7-8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 1 piece cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp salt (namak)
- 2 green chilly (hari mirch)
- few coriander leaves (dhania patti)
- 1/2 cup tamarind (imli) water
- 1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
How to make gujarati dal:
- Soak gram lentil in water for 1/2 an hour.
- Then cook with salt, turmeric in a pressure cooker.
- Crush cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Finely chop green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Heat ghee in a pan and put cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida in it.
- When mustard seeds crackles put curry leaves in it.
- Then add green chillies and coriander powder and cook.
- Add cloves and cinnamon stick along with boiled gram lentil.
- After few minutes add tamarind water and sugar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and remove it from the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.